If there is only one lesson to be learned from history, it is this: those who try to negotiate from a position of weakness are - generally - the less successful of the parties involved. Those in the stronger position always determine the outcome... one way or the other.
The apologetic, radically leftist President of the United States has, in his first 100 days, traveled the globe apologizing for our country, and osculating upon the derrieres of his anti-American pals! He has also labeled those who may disagree with his radical left-wing agenda as "radical right-wing extremists" - a label which I am proud to wear!
Those of us who are gravely concerned about the direction in which Mr. Obama is taking our country seem to have an understanding that he and his political cronies/advisers lack:
We cannot negotiate successfully from a position of weakness.
a. Obama has weakened us by
(1) declassifying, and releasing, Top Secret documents from the files of the CIA. An agency whose charter responsibility is to gather information from around the world that is considered vital to the security of the free world.
(2) restricting our intelligence gathering people to specific, non-threatening behaviors when interrogating captured enemy combatants ... and PUBLICIZING the fact!
(3) delivering an embarrassing performance during a State visit to the United Kingdom by laying hands upon Queen Elizabeth's person - which she was gracious enough to ignore.
(4) compounding that error by accepting from Hugo Chavez, de facto dictator of Venezuela, the virulently anti-American/anti-Western book, "The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent," by Eduardo Galeano, which Obama was naive enough to smilingly accept. Chavez probably could have gotten the same ignorant "ain't got a clue" response from Obama if he had presented him with a copy of Mein Kampf!
(5) making feeble, half-hearted attempts at correcting the financial distress in which the USA - and most of the world - now find themselves. Essentially nationalizing several large corporations and banks through the "bailout" process, and taking one more step toward creating the socialist state he desires from the United States of America.
b. Obama also desires to reduce our standing army and creat something that resembles the Hitler Youth Corps, or Mao Tse Tung's Red Brigades, thereby making us more vulnerable from the outside and less secure on the inside of our borders.
I could go on about his for some time, but I tire of this exercise, as it makes my soul weary.
Is it entirely the fault of the left-wing entitlement whores? No, it most definitely is not. Conservatives in this country have been the backbone of that which has been called "the silent majority", and we have been far too silent for far too long! Here's a quote from a man who saw our situation quite clearly - more than 200 years ago:
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." —John Philpot Curran: Speech upon the Right of Election, 1790. (Speeches. Dublin, 1808.)
What is costing us so dearly now, is our own complacency, and, in this case, to be complacent is to be complicit! In the words of that great philosopher, Pogo Possum, "We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo, 1971
We have failed to exercise that "eternal vigilance", and that which we value so highly - our Constitutional Rights - is about to be taken from us by The Great Usurper. The left cannot allow themselves to admit to what is happening because it would require them to admit that they were taken in - duped by The Great Usurper!
I could be wrong about this... but it's highly doubtful!