It seems your President and First Lady did a marvelous job of embarrassing our country upon meeting with Queen Elizabeth II of England. I have never experienced that opportunity myself, but my peasants' understanding of the protocols is:
1. Upon meeting the Queen, women curtsy and men bow. One does not shake hands with the Queen unless she offers her hand first. Then the handshake should be brief and light of touch. One does not squeeze the hand of the Queen!
2. One does not lay hands upon the Queen at any time (other than perhaps to remove her from immediate danger).
3. All persons granted an audience with the Queen are fully briefed on protocols prior to the meeting. In the case of your President and First Lady, they should have been briefed twice - once by his protocol staff, and once by the Queen's attendants.
Those are the main protocols. I would deign to suggest two more:
1. The President of the United States of America should not give the Queen of England a crappy Ipod as a gift. It shows little thoughtfulness, and even less respect for Her Majesty!
2. The President of the United States of America should not refer to the Queen of England as "Your typical white Grandmother."
The fact that the Queen is primarily a figurehead ruler, she is, nonetheless, The Ruler of a great nation that is - or at least was - one of our staunchest allies. The lack of class and buffoonery displayed by your President should be an embarrassment to us all! And this right on the heels of presenting her Prime Minister with 25 DVDs of American movies ...
From the Cleveland (OH) Leader: "The list of offenses is quite long. First, Obama is said to have cancelled a planned, podium-to-podium news conference with Brown, and also recently removed a bust of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill from the Oval Office. Adding further insult to the PM's visit were the cheap and thoughtless gifts that the President gave Mr. Brown and his family." The article goes on, "Brown clearly took care in choosing his gift for President Obama, presenting him with a pen holder crafted from the timbers of the 19th century British warship HMS President. The HMS President's sister ship, the HMS Resolute had previously provided the wood for the Oval Office's desk. Therefore the PM's gift was clearly not a last minute thought."
Perhaps your President believes, deep down, that our British friends are too white for him to show any respect.
Queen Elizabeth is too gracious to publicly display any feelings of insult to, or intrusion upon, her person. I, on the other hand, am not. But then, I still call a terrorist a terrorist - they are neither 'misunderstood allies,' nor 'friends-in-waiting.'
I could be completely wrong about this... and Barack Obama could be the Imperial Wizard of the KKK! The chances of either are pretty slim.