Kim Long-Il, the Wile E. Coyote of Asia, is unquestionably a certifiable nut job! However, the really scary news is that he is not a stupid nut job. He has tested Obama (and the UN) more in the last five months, than he tested Bush in eight years!
Come to think of it, during the Bush administration, there was only some soft, verbal "saber rattling" from Kim. Suddenly, he's causing great concern in the rest of the Asian world - and annoying the West and the UN - with nuclear tests, long-range missile tests, and "the world can KMA" prohibited small arms shipments to Myanmar.
Last Wednesday, the North Korean-flagged vessel, Kang Nam, left the port of Nampo and was being trailed by a U.S. destroyer, a U.S. official said, making it the first ship monitored under the new U.N. sanctions. A recent U.N. resolution calls on U.N. member states to inspect North Korean vessels if they have "reasonable grounds" to believe that its cargo contains banned weapons or materials. But it must first get the consent of the nation whose flag the ship is flying _ in this case, North Korea. However, analysts say a high seas interception - something North Korea has said it would consider an act of war - is unlikely.
The US Navy ship, the USS John S. McCain, is relatively close to the North Korean vessel but, as of last report, had no orders to intercept the Kang Nam. So, here's the scenario:
1. Kim has pissed off the entire world - or at least enough of it for the 192-member UN to issue sanctions against North Korea.
2. Kim, knowing that the UN is a toothless tiger, continues to thumb his nose at the rest of the world. The rest of the world observes his actions, and does nothing meaningful to stop those actions.
3. The US Navy has a warship within easy interception distance, but Obama issues no order to intercept, board and inspect the Kang Nam for illicit arms - an action which is fully authorized under International Maritime Law.
4. Final score - DPRNK 4 World 0
5. Kim wins! Because the rest of the world lacks the cojones to put him in his place.
I could be wrong about this... and Kim Jong-Il could be the Easter Bunny in disguise.