His trial was set to begin last month when Hasan, 42, requested to go to trial acting as his own attorney. He initially told the court he would be able to proceed with no delay, but he asked for a three-month delay just minutes after presiding judge Col. Tara Osborn granted his request.
Hasan has since told the court he targeted soldiers who were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan.
Hasan has said he will attempt to justify the killing of 13 people on post in 2009 with a “defense of others” strategy. Those "others" are the Taliban!
To paraphrase Sun Tzu, "The ally of my enemy is my enemy." Hasan murdered - in cold blood - 13 unarmed American soldiers, and wounded 32 others! His "defense of others" claim makes him also guilty of treason, by taking arms against the U.S. protect an enemy. As Ben Franklin once said regarding legal proceedings, "A person who represents himself has a fool for a client."
This particular fool has already had 3½ YEARS of delays, and is being allowed to make a mockery of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, under which he will - someday perhaps - be tried. My attitude is quite basic - TRY HIM AND FRY HIM! If you think that's barbaric, so be it, but the facts are quite simple -
1. Civilian police responded to a call (maybe the MP's didn't know what to do) at the Fort Hood Army Installation.
2. When they arrived at the scene, they were fired upon by the only person in the vicinity with firearms.
3. Police returned fire, seriously injuring their attacker.
4. When the opportunity presented itself, they surveyed the room and found 45 people shot, 13 of whom were dead.
5. The person firing upon the police was "Major" Nidal Hasan. Inasmuch as there was no other person in the immediate area holding weapons or firing upon police, Hasan was arrested. He was charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder, and 32 counts of attempted murder... MORE THAN 43 MONTHS AGO!
6. He apparently has not denied the charges, but his "defense of others" is nothing less than an admission of guilt. Basically, he is saying, "I did it, but I should be forgiven because I did it in the defense of others." How many Taliban were under attack in that room on 9 November 2009? Oh.. none? Using Hasan's reasoning, we should now kill ALL Muslims, wherever we find them, because the Taliban are Muslims, and the Taliban kill Americans. How monumentally STUPID is that line of reasoning? Yet the Army is entertaining Hasan's request. Proof positive that, "A person who represents himself has a fool for a client."
While incarcerated awaiting trial, Hasan has violated Army regulations by growing a beard. He could be tried under the UCMJ for that, while his other trial date is pending resolution. He should have been reduced in rank to that of E-1, and all pay and allowances forfeited. Was he? No. Instead, Hasan has accumulated over $248,000 in pay and allowances during that period! This is TAXPAYER MONEY - and IT CONTINUES TO ACCRUE IN HIS ACCOUNT TODAY!
Maybe Obama will make him a "Senior Adviser on Islamic Protective Affairs", so he can invoke "Executive Privilege", and not be tried at all. God save us from our own stupidity and the insanity of Political Correctness!